List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu-devel] proposal for additional edu library
From:       Jason Harris <kstars () 30doradus ! org>
Date:       2003-07-01 18:51:56

Hello,

I have written a pretty generic data-plotting widget for some tools in KStars
(Altitude vs. TIme plotter, Solar system viewer, Jupiter moons plotter
(TBD)).  After testing the latest version of Kalzium (which includes a
similar data-plotting tool), I suggested to Carsten that he might want to use
my widget in Kalzium too, and he agreed that it would be useful to him.

Basically, the widget lets you define "Plot objects" which are lists of data
points and their plot charactersitics (color, size, whether they are
connected with a line, etc).  You also set the limits of the plot.
The widget draws the plot axes (with smart placement of tickmarks and tick
labels) and all of its plot objects.

So, in the interest of sharing code without having to duplicate it, I'd like
to add a "kdeeduplot" library (containing the KPlotWidget class and a few
support classes, including KPlotObject) to libkdeedu.

I have already added the necessary files to my local CVS copy; you can obtain
these files here:
http://www.30doradus.org/kdeeduplot.tar.gz
Unpack it in your CVS directory, under kdeedu/libkdeedu/.  If you compile and
install the library, you can compile and run this demo program to see it in
action:
http://www.30doradus.org/testplot-0.1.tar.gz

Any comments or objections?  May I add this to CVS?

regards,
Jason

--
KStars:  A K Desktop Planetarium