List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] chmod-like function?
From:       Jason Harris <kstars () 30doradus ! org>
Date:       2003-04-24 13:42:45

Hi,

> Let me however ask what you want to achieve?
> Executing arbitrary contents is possible using scripting languages (whose
> files don't need x-bits), and executing binary programs depends on the
> architecture.

In KStars we have a number of DCOP functions that let you pre-script complex
behaviors of the program and play them back.  I am working on a GUI window to
let users easily build  DCOP shell scripts using a point-and-click interface
(so they never have to edit the script directly).

I guess I don't need to set the x bit for playback from within KStars, but if
the user wants to run their script from the command line, it would be simpler
for them if it was executable.  (all right, not a big difference between
'./myscript.sh' and 'source myscript.sh', but still... :)

Thanks for the information!
Jason

--
KStars:  A K Desktop Planetarium