List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu-devel] KDE-Edu policy (was: Re: [kde-edu]: Kig first release)
From:       Klas Kalass <klas.kalass () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-09-01 10:48:31

Am Sonntag, 1. September 2002 10:28 schrieb Eva Brucherseifer:
> > Is kgeo deprecated? I don't think we should have both in kdeedu.
>
> kgeo is unmaintained as far as I now (seems to be a general problem of
> kdeedu right now).
>
> My personal opinion is, that a maintained app is better than an
> unmaintained, but that we need to be very careful before switching apps -
> the new app first has to prove that it is better. That kig is compatible to
> kgeo in its file format is a really good thing and makes it easier. Other
> important points are:
> - quality of code (is it maintainable, documented, extendable?)
> - comparable or better more valuable features than the old version (is it
> planned to have all missing features implemented until kde 3.2?)
> - responsiveness of the author to bug reports
> - app fits into the KDE culture (check
> http://www.kde.org/kde-manifesto.html for an idea)
>
> Actually we should apply these criteria to all apps that are included into
> the module and thus into a KDE distribution. Otherwise we'll end up as a
> place where people dump their  "I tried to learn C++/QT-coding" apps and
> disappear.
YES!!!

I agree that we should be a lot more restrictive, the question is: Who is so
brave to start this kind of discussion for existing apps so we deliver only
applications in KDE 3.1 that are considered worthwhile. Or is everybody else
happy with all applications in kdeedu? What applications are scheduled for
KDE 3.1 but still seem to lack quality and maintainance?

And how do we solve the following problems:
- who decides to remove an app?
- how to measure "responsiveness of the author to bug reports"?
- who decides if code is maintainable etc?

Klas