List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] math app - design version 0.1
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-08-21 9:02:21

On Tuesday 20 August 2002 22:23, Sebastian Stein wrote:
> Eva Brucherseifer <eva@kde.org> [020820 20:02]:
> > http://www.rtr.tu-darmstadt.de/~eva/download/kmath-0.1.tar.gz
>
> Yes, it works!
>
> > I used kbruch as an example.
>
> It is a great pleasure for me... ;-)
;-) If you are interested, I can send you some comments regarding your
design/coding (I inherited probably some teacher genes by my parents, sorry
for that...).

> > - - configuration of the part (and thus the exercises)
>
> Would it be possible to add other items to the tool bar? I mean items only
> specific for this part? Klas Kalass tried to rework the design of KBruch
> and he removed all the menus and added the options to the toolbar.

Yes, Klas sent me the png - it actually looks quite similar already :-)
To have configuration in the toolbar is an interesting option. It's quite easy
to add buttons to toolbars, but I don't know about input elements... I'll
check during the meeting in Hamburg (a lot of core people are there :-)).

The other idea I had, was to set up tests with a wizard (like the wizard in
kdevelop, which you use to setup new projects). On the first page you would
choose the different parts and then each part shows its own configuration
page in the wizard.

The third idea is, to have all parts add its configuration pages to the
settings dialog, as in kate, where you have on the left side the
configuration sections and on the right side configuration pages (which can
be the same as for the wizard).

Forth idea: Each part provides a second widget, wich is a configuration widget
and we embed it next to the test area and the statistics window.

Has anyone more ideas? Of course we can have different shells each with
different behaviour or we can make it configurable. Also we could somehow
encode a parts capabilities and choose the design of the shell depending on
the part....

Well, this is mainly brainstorming right now... don't know which one the best
solution is. At least I will learn something about how easily the different
solutions are to implement next weekend.

> Before we do something like this we should try to find a way which would
> work for all edu apps. Maybe for some of them it would not be enough to
> have just some combo boxes on the toolbar so they would need a real complex
> setting window.

Maybe we can group the edu apps (via the service types?) and have
- random tests (have infinite number of tasks)
- configured tests (must be configured)
- tests wich can be random or configured

At the moment most math apps are infinte random tests with only one
configuration file (accessed via KConfig). Examples for configured tests are
in KEduca or KVoctrain, they have configuration files for each test (which
also contain data). One could split the KEduca files and KVoctrain files into
"database files", containing the data and files describing how to execute the
tests.

*Poll*
Are you more in favour of infinte tests or configured tests? Should we enable
both?

BTW, I think, we can use the edu part design also for other edu apps than math
apps. Although math apps are a really good starting point.

> > keduparts - interface of the edupart
>
> I don't really understand what it is for. I think I have to study the
> concept a little bit more. Maybe I missed some discussions or mails,
> because our university's email server was shut down for some days because
> of the flood disaster in Dresden.

Well, as Dominique already mentioned - I really need to comment the code and
also do some design documentation....

My next steps are then (project plan for next week ;-):

- comment the code/design
- implement a part/view manager
- learn more about how the configuration can be done
- develop concepts for configuration of random and configured tests

Greetings,
eva