List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] Fwd: puzzled students.
From:       Jason Lane <jglane () btopenworld ! com>
Date:       2002-08-15 23:39:30

Hi,

What a coincidence! I've actually just (last week) started writing a
wordsearch puzzle maker one as my first attempt at a complete KDE/Qt/c++ app.
I want it capable of creating nice looking puzzles that can be used as
worksheets or static web pages, with the ability to save puzzles, import
wordlists, and print the solutions of course. Eventually, perhaps even a
KWord export facility and an interactive game mode - but let's not run before
we can crawl...:-).

At present I have a basic UI, but it's not yet connected to the Qt-centric
puzzle generation code. Maybe in a week or two when I can get the time....
I was going to announce it here when I had a usable app, and offer it as a
part of kde-edu.

The heart of the puzzle generation algorithm code is based on the little c++
program by Steve Baker at http://www.sjbaker.org/steve/toys/ (it's GPL) but
totally rewritten to take into account Qt's QChar and QString and other
facilities provided by Qt. This algorithm I found led to better distributed
word grids than several non-free Windows programs (freeware & shareware &
commercial) that I tried a while ago when attempting to create a Christmas
puzzle last year.

Oh, the working title is "Kwordsearch"... for lack of anything more original.

More info soon, if anyone's interested...

Regards,

Jason

On Thursday 15 August 2002 10:41 pm, Chris Howells wrote:

> [...]

<snip>