List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] kverbos
From:       Klas Kalass <klas.kalass () gmx ! de>
Date:       2002-07-29 16:27:54

Am Montag, 29. Juli 2002 11:05 schrieb Eva Brucherseifer:
> On Sunday 28 July 2002 06:17, Arnold Kraschinski wrote:
<snip>
> Well, regarding me - I definitely don't want to 'wipe out' kverbos. But I
> want apps in kde-edu to be kde-conform. You didn't respond to my arguments
> about the spanish GUI yet and I really don't understand why you don't want
> to change the GUI, esp. since you still can have the old behaviour with the
> proposals I made.
>
> Having an app in a kde module makes you responsible for a lot more users.
> This is also why an app in KDE should fulfill basic demands. In return your
> app is distributed with KDE and thus part of all major distributions. But
> we need to discuss these requirements here and we should try to find a
> consensus.
>
> With kde-edu we have a special requirement and that is, that most schools
> don't really have up-to-date computers. They don't have a lot of space and
> thus they cannot easily install a mega edu package which contains all edu
> apps that are around. My personal opinion is, that we should only have apps
> in kde-edu that are of "general interest" and which are well maintained and
> thus of high quality.
Although I agree with you here I do not think that every application that is
in kdeedu right now fulfills the high quality requirements. But unless we
find a way to define "high quality" I will not say which ones because I do
not want a flamewar ;) And I am not talking about only one or two apps...

> The edu base package should be accompanied by an
> kde-extragears package with specialized apps.
Sorry, but I do not like that idea. The Extra Gear is not supposed to produce
any packages of more than one application. If it did it might be in danger of
becoming a counter-KDE and that is certainly not the intention behind it.
But of course also educational software is more than welcome and it might make
sense to categorize the software in the Extra Gear when we have reached a
certain amount of apps.
With those categories (which will never be released as one package) it might
make sense to link to them from the the corresponding main module homepage,
in this case edu.
Actually I quite like the idea that kdeedu would take care of educational apps
in the Extra Gear, we could even feel as responsible for the edu apps in the
Extra Gear as we feel responsible for all apps in kdeedu :-)

> Still I am much in favour of
> converting very good specialized apps into apps of general interest,
> whenever this is possible.
Me too, although I prefer the outcome to be even better :)

Regards
Klas