List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] kverbos
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-07-29 9:05:10

On Sunday 28 July 2002 06:17, Arnold Kraschinski wrote:
> Hello,
>
> first of all it isn't important for me that KVerbos is part of the KDE
> distribution. I wrote the program for myself to train the Spanish verbs and
> this is still the main purpose. I found the KDE-EDU group only by chance.
> So feel free to remove it.
>
> > You're right and that's exactly the point. Many developers don't know
>
> about
>
> > the abilities of other programs even about those in the same module.
> > KVoctrain could easily replace kverbos. It is even almost the same.
>
> The difference between a vocabulary trainer and KVerbos is that KVerbos
> creates the forms itself in a vocabulary trainer you have to enter it. That
> means you have to enter about 120 forms for all times, for gerund forms and
> for perfect forms with the verb in a vocabulary trainer.

Just to recall the discussion:
You're argument was "the aim of kverbos isn't to be a dictionary. It is to
train the conjugations of verbs and the program can conjugate the verbs.
Something that a vocabulary trainer can't do. "
and my argument was: "with kvoctrain you _can_ train the conjugation of
verbs".

> That's the reason
> why I think a vocabulary trainer isn't usefull for this task, why I started
> the project, why I will use KVerbos and why in my opinion you can wipe out
> 'easily'.

Well, regarding me - I definitely don't want to 'wipe out' kverbos. But I want
apps in kde-edu to be kde-conform. You didn't respond to my arguments about
the spanish GUI yet and I really don't understand why you don't want to
change the GUI, esp. since you still can have the old behaviour with the
proposals I made.

Having an app in a kde module makes you responsible for a lot more users. This
is also why an app in KDE should fulfill basic demands. In return your app is
distributed with KDE and thus part of all major distributions. But we need to
discuss these requirements here and we should try to find a consensus.

With kde-edu we have a special requirement and that is, that most schools
don't really have up-to-date computers. They don't have a lot of space and
thus they cannot easily install a mega edu package which contains all edu
apps that are around. My personal opinion is, that we should only have apps
in kde-edu that are of "general interest" and which are well maintained and
thus of high quality. The edu base package should be accompanied by an
kde-extragears package with specialized apps. Still I am much in favour of
converting very good specialized apps into apps of general interest, whenever
this is possible.

Greetings,
eva