List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu-devel] a few things from LinuxTag
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-06-12 14:05:52

Ok, I think Eva is planning on writing up some of the stuff that was talked
about at the kde-edu meeting at LinuxTag, so I'll leave most of that out at
the moment, but there were a few useful things that I gleened from others.

First, shared libraries are loaded in 4k blocks based on the objects that are
needed to the applications using them.  Roughly what this means (and I
suspected) is that we need not worry about the size of the library relative
to the parts of it that are used.  So, if even if everything that is used
were to end up being in one library, this would not be a significant memory
hit, even for an application using just a few parts of the library.

Second, I talked to a few people working with Qt XML stuff (David Faure, Alex
Kellett) and there was resounding support for QDom as it is being used in the
lib at the moment.  Alex, before I mentioned the specific reason that I
brought it up pointed to KVocTrain as being the ideal application to show off
QDom.  Heh.  ;-)

I later mentioned that this was for the edu library, and again, both of the
above agreed that QDom is the way to go for it's ability to maintain a
document's structure in memory.  This doesn't need to end the discussion, but
for me personally, their opinions, as people been working with XML parsing
for a good while (i.e. KOffice) was enough to convince me.

I also did a few commits to the library while at LinuxTag -- mostly small
clean ups based on discussions there and here.  I'll get back to adding a
couple of other things in the next couple of days.

Cheers!

-Scott