List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] Re: draft for kde lib
From:       Anne-Marie Mahfouf <a-m.mahfouf () lineone ! net>
Date:       2002-05-15 18:39:46

On Wednesday 15 May 2002 6:38 pm, Ewald Arnold wrote:
> Hello,
>
> > I am willing to use the lib for KLatin and also for KTimes which will be
>
> fine :-) but it would be good to describe your needs a bit, since I don't
> know too much about the apps and their current and future needs. Abilities
> for sounds, graphics and other properties, support for different languages
> and how...
for KLatin: all the following you suggested before would be good.
libkeduvocio    : - loading, saving in xml and plugin support for
                      other file formats.
                     - API for accessing the words and properties
libkeduvocpart  : kpart to display the words.
                     - display table as in kvoctrain
                     - display flip cards as in flashkard
libkeduvocedit  : edit dialog to enter/modify the properties
libkeduvocquery : standard query and settings dialogs
libkeduvocsettings : standard settings dialogs
Names of the libs may vary of course.

Sounds: when KDE has ogg support, sounds will not be a problem. I mean that
sound is just 2 lines code. The problems with sounds is to find people that
will record them. Recorded sounds should be in the corresponding i18n package
and in the app.
Like in KLatin, if it uses sound (associated with a flashkard for example)
the front of the kard might be "puella": latin sound included in the app
and the back of the kard will be girl, fille, etc.. included in each i18n
package.

Support for different languages: the lib should allow i18n. I had 2 different
answers about translating data from i18n people. The rigorous approach is
that everything should go through the pot file and thus we need scripts to
get the data from xml files to a dummy cpp file with i18n() functions.
The less rigorous approach would allow translators to work on the xml files
like they do with docbook. This has to be defined with i18n.

Pics: pic support for the front of the flashkard. A flashkard could be either
a word one or a pic one: pic of a girl->puella for KLatin.
That would allow reading help for children and learning new vocabulary.

Hope that helps,

annma

PS: for KTimes, the app will be rewritten. Scott suggested the idea of
flashkard for multiplication tables, of course, it is very good (should have
thought of it myself ;).
How will the xml be done in that case?
Again, choice of flashkard with pics and without pics. For learning and
testing.