List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] Re: draft for kde lib
From:       Ewald Arnold <ewald () ewald-arnold ! de>
Date:       2002-05-13 19:16:16

Hello Scott,

> subtle question, but worth asking I think.

The intention is to keep it as generic as possible. Those drafts are just to
start the discussion, and you are right, "vocabulary" as in flashkard or
kvoctrain shall just be one aspect.

There are a lot of language related apps already at kde edu and everyone
writes his/her own api for data access from scratch. Mostly the file format
is too simple to extend in a backward compatible manner or too specific to be
used be an other app.

> Also, what do you imagine being in "libkeduvocsettings" and
> "libkeduvocedit"? I would say that the first priority is getting the XML
> library written.  The other things would be nice, but more work (and are

"vocsettings" contains a collection of dialogs and related things for setup
porposes in applications. For example things you find in kvoctrain under
"general settings".

"vocedit" contains generic dialogs, kparts and so on to edit or view the
content. For example the table view from kvoc, your flipcard approach or
something better suited for a different application.

As you mentioned above, the primary goal now should be the xml related stuff:
input/output and an api to access the elements. I added more to indicate that
there might be more some day and when you write your ideas down you won't
forget them.

Before we really start we should create a rough roadmap what to implement and
in which order.

For this we need a lot of feedback and whishes from the edu-devel list as this
library should be used by as much people as possible.

cheers
Ewald

--
Ewald Arnold, Germany