List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] First Announcement Of KMathCenter
From:       dominique devriese <domi () living ! pandora ! be>
Date:       2002-04-30 17:40:37

Op dinsdag 30 april 2002 12:16, schreef Christian Parpart:
> Hi Dominique,
>
> dominique devriese inspired the electrons to say:
> > Well, derive basically lets you define functions, and then lets you do
> > all sorts of things with them (maybe you could add that: your prog seems
> > to let the user input functions individually for every dialog...
> > 1) plot them (you already have that)
> > 2) integrate and derive them (you have deriving)
>
> Oh that's internally used but not yet implemented for the Interface. That's
> the way functions can reference each other. It just need an interface :)
cool :)

> Integrating is planned but isn't as easy as derving is :(still design
> phase)

i know, i had been thinking about maybe some day writing this my self, but i
gave up :)

> > 3) solve them (find the values of x for which the function reaches 0)
> > (you don't seem to have that :)
>
> That's easily implemented and partially done by the backend I implemented
> for. This is what I mean with complete curve discussion. (I am sure you
> know what I mean :)

sure :)

> > Frankly, i don't think derive is easy to use, though... If we have a math
> > class on the computer, our first few minutes are always the teacher
> > trying to explain how to operate derive, and next, he walks around
> > telling students what buttons to push..
> > In this respect, your prog seems much better: maybe you could make it
> > even easier: make "discuss a function" a wizard, which lets the user
> > input what he wants to know about the function, and then provide a tabbed
> > dialog with all the information (just an idea...)
>
> Okay, I'm a poor german and we normally say "Kurvendiskussion". I simply
> translated it to "curve discussion". But I'll use your suggestion thanks :)

emm... i don't know if this is the official english term, my native language
is dutch, i think we call it "analyse van een functie", but there isn't
really a fixed term for it, you will prolly have to ask a genuine englishman
what it's called...

> > I think derive also supports working with matrices and such (i think this
> > should prove really easy if you're wanting to implement: doesn't boost
> > (www.boost.org) have a matrix class?)
>
> Thanks for the link, because I didn't know much about them yet. I need to
> contact my math bible :)
They have lots of all-purpose classes, and there's a math section too, but
i've just checked and i was wrong: there is no matrix class...
there are matrix classes enough, though, google can help:
http://www.netwood.net/~edwin/svmtl/#library
http://math.nist.gov/mv++/
http://math.nist.gov/sparselib++/ (although i have no idea what a sparse
matrix is :)
I haven't checked licenses, but i'm sure there will be one on the net with a
KDE compatible license...

> > > I unfortunately can't image what you mean with "interactive". Tell
> > > it me.
> >
> > No, that was about Kig, my prog: it lets you draw objects (circles,
> > lines..., (soon locuses)), and then lets you move one or more of them,
> > and see the effect on the others...
> >
> > > BTW: KMathCenter supports functions like IF() and self recursions
> > > wich make it even possible to calculate or plot the signum function,
> > > abs etc.
> >
> > an interesting program for you might be maxima:
> > http://www.ma.utexas.edu/maxima.html
> > it's a program like yours, written in emacs lisp, it has some more cool
> > features like 3d plotting and such...
> > it's not user friendly at all though
>
> Oh, perhaps you didn't see that this is an initial version. Of course not
> as usefull as maxima or mathematica of course, but it intents to be :)

No, i just wanted to point you to it to maybe get some ideas from or
something, since it was an open source program doing the same as yours...
Oh, btw: it's not emacs lisp, but common lisp

bye
domi