List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu-devel] Data files for KVocTrain
From:       Scott Wheeler <wheeler () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-19 10:05:26

On Friday 19 April 2002 05:23 am, Ewald Arnold wrote:

> nice to read that there are some pending files :-) Since I have some spare
> time and was curious to test your app I played a bit with it. Some months
> ago you wrote that you intend to use my file format. Unfortunately it did
> not work immediately and I had to add some bits to your files. I also had
> to fix some flaws in my xml code.

I would like to make it where they can work together at some point.  This
would seems really great if people could use the same file format.  I'll try
to do what I need to so that this can happen.

Because of the simpler design of FlashKard, it obviously doesn't need all of
the data from KVocTrain.  However, if you can tell me the data that you had
to add, I will try to write an "export" function so that they can be used
together.

> Most important is to notify the user that he will lose data if he saves a
> kvtml file from kvoc with flashkard as you only use the most important
> tags. A workaround might be the use of a DOM interface in FK because DOM
> would keep the complete structure. I also changed the file suffix from
> "kvml" to "kvtml" (a typo?). Find a diff and the modified files attached.

Yep.  If I can't get this to not happen before 3.1 I will change the extension
(or should it be done now?).  Actually it looks like I may have changed the
extension anyway.  :-)

> As far as I can see now, it would be a good idea to place all the kvtml
> files under contrib/kvtml. Both apps can read and process them after the
> changes. The only problem is changing the apps and the users should be
> informed about the possible problems in advance.

Agreed.  And your patch looks good.  There are a few formatting things (tabs,
indenting) that I want to change before I commit it, but I will do so this
weekend.  Thanks!

> I suggest to place a html file in contrib/kvtml which lists all the
> available files and adds comments about the content as well as the above
> warning. In edu.kde.org/app-name/index.html there should be links that lead
> to this common html file.

Thanks again Ewald!  I would really like to have this working at some point
where the apps function as separate interfaces to the same data.  That way if
someone started with FlashKard and later decided that they wanted the more
advanced features of KVocTrain the could convert easily.  Similarly, if
someone has their data in KVocTrain it would be nice if they could use
FlashKard too.

Interoperability is a good thing.  :-)

Cheers!

-Scott