List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu-devel] Patches vs. CVS... && KDevelop vs "other" editors
From:       Whitehawk Stormchaser <zerokode () yahoo ! com>
Date:       2002-04-17 22:40:48

Greetings once again!

KDevelop vs "other editors":
Few days ago I had a minor colision with the developers of the EDU team, and
there was "sholuld the kdevprj files be in CVS" issue, because I forgot to
tell KDevelop to link the Qt and some other things...
Now, this came to the very nasty "word exchange", and I rather not say
anything more here... On short, there was a CVS collision in the very end,
because the one, that posted to the CVS, didn't make correct changes in the
kdevprj file, but only in the Makefile.

There were some ideas of kicking the kdevprj files out of the CVS, but with
this I highly disagree... If app is written with the help of KDevelop, then
there the kdevprj file too SHOULD be inside the CVS; under one condition:
That the file is properly updated, meaning, that you update the WHOLE
application.

I am saying this mainly because of my own experiences; This is how I learned
to work with KDE, and mainly because of people were sou kind to actually put
the project files inside of the either distribution our the CVS :)

Now; If there was no KDevelop, I'd probably wouldn't be a Linux freak, like I
am now, and development would be pointed to Windows operating system. But
still... kdevelop project files in CVS are good idea; This is KDE-EDU, isn't
it? Here also beginners learn how to develop applications. I am not 100%
completly certain, that every enwcmer to Qt/KDE development will checked the
code using Vim or Emacs... Why should he, if there are more simple and more
powerful tools like KDevelop? I am fixing some minor things with Kate and
maybe Vim or Joe, or Midnight commander's editor (quite nice, but
unfortunatly... Big color mismarch :( )  I am doing bigger things ONLY on
KDevelop :)

Patches vs. CVS:
CVS collisions are the BIGGEST problem in CVS app development... Like if
someone is making some changes in one place, and other in another lace in the
same application than there is no problem. The problem occurs, if two
developers go "head to head" on same file, and on the very end -- It can make
some horrible results... Few lines more or less, are no problem, but...

But the main problem occurs, if smeone is actually working on smething REALLY
big, like complete app rewrite, and the someone changes something small in
the CVS, it could mess up the enitire new-born application.
OK... The best idea could it be to just override the CVS directory, and then
do a complete commit... Which is also a bad idea... Maybe the change in CVS
is very important, and the change is not included in the commited version...

Solution: We start using patches, that are sent to the author / maintainer o
fthe app...The changes in the patch will be overviewed and checked, and
implemented into the new version, if necessarry...

That sounds a reasonable and VERY rational idea to checkout... Both of them...

Regards. ~W