List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu-devel] Re: Including a bindings-based Java app ? (was (Re: [kde-edu-devel]
From:       George Richard Russell <George.Russell () cis ! strath ! ac ! uk>
Date:       2002-04-02 13:21:35

> Good point. As far as I know, most people don't install the bindings, so that
> could be a problem.
>
> What about porting it to C++? Shouldn't be too hard...

Um, no thanks. I like Java ;-)

> Is there a special reason you used the GNU Regexp Java package instead of QT
> regex? And the ORO Inc. NetComponents package instead of KDE's functionality
> like the ftp ioslave? The problem I see here is, that your (very nice) app
> introduces quite a lot of dependencies and we'd force KDE users to resolve
> these...

Thats for the old, Swing based version of gilt.

Gilt 0.3 has no dependencies other than kdejava / qtjava from KDE bindings.

It goes to some trouble to integrate with KDE - it follows the colour
scheme, usings KDE widgets, invokes the users preferred browser and
mailer as set in the control center etc.

George Russell