List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: Including a bindings-based Java app ? (was (Re: [kde-edu-devel] Status)
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-04-02 13:11:51

On Tuesday 02 April 2002 14:50, Chris Howells wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 April 2002 1:04 pm, George Richard Russell wrote:
> > I have written the etext reader gilt
> > http://dogma.freebsd-uk.eu.org/~grrussel/ for KDE 3.x
> > Ir parses the Project Gutenberg Index file and displays a set of links
> > tht launch konqueor for the etext URL.
> >
> > It is written in Java using kdebindings.
>
> Certainly looks very interesting -- I have no idea if such a thing would be
> a good idea to include in kdeedu because it would mean a depdencency on a
> Java VM.

Good point. As far as I know, most people don't install the bindings, so that
could be a problem.

What about porting it to C++? Shouldn't be too hard...

Is there a special reason you used the GNU Regexp Java package instead of QT
regex? And the ORO Inc. NetComponents package instead of KDE's functionality
like the ftp ioslave? The problem I see here is, that your (very nice) app
introduces quite a lot of dependencies and we'd force KDE users to resolve
these...

eva

PS: Your tool is not yet listed on http://apps.kde.com - what about adding it
there?