List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu-devel] Next newsletter DRAFT
From:       Anne-Marie Mahfouf <a-m.mahfouf () lineone ! net>
Date:       2002-01-31 11:20:39

Here is the first draft of the February Newsletter.
Please tell me what you think. The newsletter aims to inform people that are
not very closed to the KDE project and are interested in education.

annma
Newsletter #6 from the KDE-Edu team

This is the newsletter number 6 from the KDE-Edu project. The project's
ultimate aim is to create educational software based around KDE, the K Desktop
Environment and all our projects are under an Open Source licence (mainly GPL
or Artistic Licence). This newsletter keeps you informed of the state of this
project.

Website
http://edu.kde.org
The website is being reorganized and is currently tested.

What's new?
KDE-Edu is part of Schoolforge
http://www.schoolforge.net
Schoolforge was launched on 8th January 2002.
Schoolforge's mission is to unify independent organizations that advocate,
use and develop open resources for primary and secondary education.
Schoolforge intends to make open educational resources more effective,
efficient, and ubiquitous by enhancing communication, sharing resources, and
increasing the transparency of development. Schoolforge members advocate the
use of open source and free software, open texts and lessons, and open
curricula for the advancement of education.
It is important to note that KDE-Edu is the only project that develop eduware
for the moment.

New projects annonced:
The developers worked a lot as a team on Kalzium. Kalzium visualizes the
Chemical Table of Elements, give information about each  element, features a
quiz, a timeline and a link to a webpage for more information about each
element.
See http://edu.kde.org/kalzium

For the KDE3.1 release (in several months), it has been decided to use the Ogg
Vorbis format for sound files. For the moment, we use wav and MP3 files. Wav
files are really too big and MP3 is not totally free. Ogg Vorbis is free and
the files are nicely compressed. It was not chosen earlier because the ogg
libs just reach a very stable state (the project is quite new).

We are also in touch with the KDE-Games team to see if we could develop a
common sound and pics database and how to implement it.

All this takes time but you can see that a lot of ideas are being shared.

KDE3.0 will be released in March (a new beta will be out soon) and for the
first time, the kdeedu package will be included. You will then be able to
install easily the educational applications with KDE3.0.

The KDE-Edu team
kde-edu@edu.kde.org