Hi everybody, =20 I have been working on ktopo, a topography program for KDE, for a couple of weeks now and since it has surpassed the just-an-idea stage, I would like to tell you about it. =20 What is KTopo? It's a program for learning topography. It aims to help the student exploring a map and learning important features of the region and to tes= t the aquired knowledge of the student. These features would most likely be cities or area's, but any feature found on a map should be a possibility= =2E KTopo is covered by the GPL license. =20 How does/should it work? There are three modes of operation: 1) Exploration, 2) Test and 3) Race. 1) In Exploration mode, the student has to find all items (further referred to as 'cities') multiple times by clicking them. When the curso= r is=20 over a city it's name is shown automatically. When the student can't find the city he can ask to have the city hilighted. 2) In Test mode the student = is tested for his knowledge. He has to find all cities when asked for and i= s assigned a score afterwards, depending on the number of cities he found. 3) Race mode is specifically added to make the use of the program more enjoyable and to motivate the student to learn their topography well. It works the same as test mode, but now the cursor is a UFO and cities need not be clicked, just 'flown over'. The student is awarded a score solely depending on the time needed to fly over all the cities and the number of cities. For competitive purposes the best scores are saved as a high score. All modes are basically implemented at the moment, but some=20 information is only printed to stdout in stead of being handled in the GUI. =20 What's wrong with it? I would like to stress that ktopo is still in a very early stage. It's not even close to being feature-complete. Things that are missing at the moment: - Support for area's (This will probably be added soon enough) - Just a single map at the moment and no way to select a map - No specific format for describing maps - Generally the UI is not finished yet, as little details are lacking. - No documentation - No autoconf/automake, but just a simple Makefile - Very little comments in the code =20 Can I try it? Yes you can. KTopo has a small homepage at http://matthijs.tux.nu/ktopo/= . You can download the program from there. You would have to check the Makefile so that it reflects the configuration of your system. Then type 'make'. It should build without errors or warnings. There's no 'make install' so you can run it with './ktopo'. It won't work if you copy the executable to somewhere else, since the program relies on some files in = the build-directory. =20 Does the author appreciate comments? Definitely yes! This is both my first real Qt/KDE project as well as my first real C++ program. If you have anything to remark, just mail me. I'd really like to hear if I'm doing something that's generally consider= ed stupid or bad style. Ideas about the program (what's good/what's bad/ what would be cool) are always welcome as well. Don't think for a moment that your opinion wouldn't interest me. In the very worst case I might not agree with you, but I wouldn't hate you for it ;-) =20 --=20 Matthijs =20 _______________________________________________ kde-edu-devel mailing list kde-edu-devel@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-edu-devel