List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [Kde-edu-devel] usability report of kdeedu on kde3cvs
From:       Ewald Arnold <kvoctrain () ewald-arnold ! de>
Date:       2001-12-04 18:19:26

Hi all,

> it's a gray and boring sunday afternoon here and so I did some testing with

I'd rather say it's a gray and boring month :-(

> - there are country names used instead of language names, i.e. Germany
> instead of german

> - I can only "Germany" and no other languages - why?

I made use of the *.desktop files under KDEDIR/share/locale/l10n and the
subdirectories there in almost exactly the same way as the personalizer
dialog in the control center does. Please check if you have several "region"
files there (e.g. *europe.desktop) and subdirectories like de, it .. with an
"entry.desktop" in each. Maybe you should set KDEDIR to kde3 if you run a
KDE2 desktop and just compile kvoc for KDE3? When I forget I get funny
results.

For the same reason "Germany" is displayed and not "German" because those
files contain only country names and not language names as far as I found
out. To make the user notice I set the focus to this field after the
selection.

If someone knows a better solution that uses pre-installed data from KDE I'd
like to know :-)

> - bug in application saving. If I quit the app without having saved the
> doc, a file dialog appears for saving, but the dialog doesn't accept or
> reject (ok, cancel-buttons). I had to kill the app.

In kva_io.cpp line 170 change

__from__

  else if (exit == 2) {
    return true;     // dont save but exit
  }

__to__

  else if (exit == KMessageBox::No) {
    return true;     // dont save but exit
  }

Did you select the "example files" entry from the menu? You can't save them
as they are installed read-only.

But apart from that it works on my side. Please give me step-by-step
instruction if it still does not work for you.

> OK, this is my feedback for all apps. I hope you understand it as
> suggestionss rather than critisism. I think, all apps are allready now very

I need even more of that :-)

Ewald

--
Ewald Arnold, Germany