List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [Kde-edu-devel] Re: [kde-edu]: Busy porting kvoctrain to Qt/KDE3
From:       Ewald Arnold <kvoctrain () ewald-arnold ! de>
Date:       2001-10-20 7:48:21

> Ok, I suggest that we use QTable's selection emchanism for this one.
>
> > "select/deselect" lines manually by pressing space. This must be
> > permanently saved with the document to give the user the opportunity to
> > continue later. Internally this is done with "selected/setSelected".
>
> I see, then this one belongs in the  document, I suggest to rename this one
> to "isTagged/setTagged" to distinguish it clearly from QTable's "selection"
> and to add an extra column to the table with a small "tagged" indicator.

Good idea, avoids also the problems with missing bold face as indicator. This
way you can also indicate different things.

> > consider important as I would like to extract the core functions
> > (basically everything in kvt-core) into a shared library.
>
> I will keep that in mind.

After thinking again about it, I suggest not to take _too_ much care about
this. Currently it is enough and the shared lib is a long term project. My
intention is to provide something for the whole edu project and the current
files are probably just something to get started and discuss about.

> In Qt3 fonts don't have a "charset" any longer. Qt3 uses a logical font and
> when it needs characters that aren't available in the original font it will
> look for other fonts that have the characters.
>
> So you don't need to do any charset handling any more, Qt now takes care of
> it, a huge improvement IMO.

The only issue I care about is comatibility. qt2 -> qt3 is ok since you kept
the reader and ignored the content. qt3 -> qt2 is probably not worth to take
care about as the advantage is too high and most people will update soon
anyway. I will also remove the choice (for saving) between latin1 and utf8.

Tell me when you are subscribed to the developers list.

cheers
Ewald

--
Ewald Arnold, Germany