List:       kde-edu
Subject:    Re: [KDE-EDU]: A suggestion
From:       Anne-Marie Mahfouf <a-m.mahfouf () lineone ! net>
Date:       2001-07-25 15:33:57

On Wednesday 25 July 2001 04:05, Kevin Krammer wrote:
> On Wednesday, 25. July 2001 07:22 (GMT +0200), Chris Howells wrote:
> > I noticed on edu.kde.org that Annma has added details about a program
> > that somebody is writing called KLatin, which is to teach Latin, which is
> > cool.
>
> indeed :)
>
> > However, I can't help feeling that writing a generic piece of software
> > (or the infrastructure to implement it), which could perhaps load a
> > database or similair so that it could teach any language (which could
> > then translated by the il8n team), would be better.
> >
> > What do people think?
>
> Well, I think we should better get something started and care about generic
> whatever in a second step. Just like KDE did.
>
> Anyway, learning languages is very specific to the language. So I would
> consider learning each language a different task. Programs for each task
> should be translated.

Yes, I agree with Kevin. My idea at first was like yours, Chris: to set up a
frame for different types of applications and then use that frame.
However, as it's holiday time, as we don't have people to code such a frame,
either we wait for something to happen either we start coding.
I unfortunately was involved in the zine project which did not produce
anything. That's why I was keen on having a website running quickly so that
people can start to work.

Now, what we need is to let people start projects and we also need to collect
ideas on how to develop a frame for database-based applications and others as
well. That way, if people see what we have in mind and if they have the
expertise, they will join.
In the mean time, let's start with small things.

Dre suggested a tarball release as well as the cvs one for the projects,
that's a good idea. Everyone should test the new projects and send her/his
ideas and comments to the author.
For KHangMan, I wrote some ideas on the webpage as well as on the TODO file
about what needs to be improved.

Thanks for any feedback.

--
Anne-Marie