List:       kde-edu
Subject:    [KDE-EDU]: ideas for applications
From:       Eva Brucherseifer <eva () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-07-15 21:55:18

Hi,

in the attached file you'll find some ideas for applications for schools we
can make.

I also talked to my parents about that. They are teachers and my father is
principal of a school. Unfortunately my father has similar arguments as
Kristian cited. The other problem is, that he already knows Windows and
hasn't the time to learn linux since he is the only one doing the system
administratioin at his school. At the moment they are using Windows 2000 -
but I am working on that ;-). But he wants to support us by giving ideas.

I asked him about commercial software they are using. They have Mediator 6.0
at the school, but he said, that it is quite complex to use. They also have
several programs by publishers of school books. The disadvantage with these
is, that they are totally fixed to the content of the school books and don't
give the freedom to teachers to change to content so that it fits to the
pupils knowledge.

Also on Windows there is not very much software that supports teachers to
easily prepare material for lessons. Many teachers have a lot of material at
home, so it would be great if they can use this material and share it with
other teachers. Also we don't have the ressources to set up apps with huge
knowledge databases, so why not getting the open source idea in there. My
father suggested a napster-like system.

When developing apps we have to bear in mind, that many schools are not
equiped with good computers yet and that the computer room is not always
accessable. So an app for e.g. "fill the gap" (in german: Lückentext) should
have several features:
- to prepare the content
- offline use: to print work sheets (without color - work sheets need to be
copied) with 2 versions: one for the pupils, the other one with the answers
for the teacher
- online use: so that children and youngsters can use it on the computer
during a lesson or at home (the correct answers must be locked then).

So far,
eva

["edutainment.txt" (text/plain)]

* enyclopedia
like encarta
is the database online?
is kdict the same?
other languages?

* language software
kvoc
with pictures
animation
embedded in a story
voice based
(in Germany pupils in the age of 6-10 will learn english from next year on,
but without writing, only based on talking)

grammar training
"fill in the gap" program -> to make work sheets for teachers and online exercises for children

spell training -> ala "didacta"

treasury of words: learning of similar words

* apps based on good TV programs for kids
- sesamestreet
- in Germany: Löwenzahn, Die Sendung mit der Maus

* little games

* school lesson wizard
like a school book in multimedia
you can add films, pictures, text
use of kparts: noatun, kword, pixie, ...
-> ala "mediator"

* databases for knowledge about history, biology, ....
apps based on exchangable databases, so that users/teachers can share the databases

* keduca
database is missing
helps the child to revise a subject

* math
young:
children get tasks like "4+7=" and if it's right they see a nice animation

10-14:
sequences, algebra, perimeters, areas
first: explain how to do something
then: tasks to solve