List:       kde-edu
Subject:    AW: Frameworks status for KDE Edu
From:       "Torsten Rahn" <tackat () t-online ! de>
Date:       2014-12-29 9:16:52

> Marble has a weird code-base that compiles both in Qt4 and Qt5. They
> don't use KF5 because they can't, as we don't have KF5 in Qt4... ^^'
> If there's somebody interested in marble around (CC) with questions, please ask!

Sorry, but that's just nonsense.

We don't have a "weird" code base. Marble mostly consists of a library that can be \
compiled with Qt4 as well as Qt5. This isn't particularly unusual since Qt5 isn't too \
different from Qt4 in terms of APIs and since Marble relies on Qt's core APIs which \
haven't changed much.

A KF5 port can be done and would certainly be an easy task for somebody with KF5 \
experience: You basically take the existing "marble-kde" folder which consists of \
about 2500 loc:

tackat@tackat-ThinkPad-T500:~/marble/sources/src/apps/marble-kde$ wc -l kdemain.cpp
408 kdemain.cpp
tackat@tackat-ThinkPad-T500:~/marble/sources/src/apps/marble-kde$ wc -l \
KdeMainWindow.cpp  190 KdeMainWindow.cpp
tackat@tackat-ThinkPad-T500:~/marble/sources/src/apps/marble-kde$ wc -l \
marble_part.cpp  1947 marble_part.cpp

I guess the best approach is to copy that folder over to marble-kf5 and do the \
porting. The code in these 2500 lines mostly deals with KPart and KConfig. For \
classes where KDE classes have disappeared code can be borrowed from the \
source/src/apps/marble-qt directory which contains a Qt based feature-compatible \
client.

Best Regards,
Torsten