List:       kde-edu
Subject:    Re: libkeduvocdocument name
From:       Andreas Xavier <andxav () zoho ! com>
Date:       2014-08-13 17:44:13

Inge,
Thanks for the answers.

Two things:

1. What do you want the library named?

2. I read the OPC spec and in the foreword there is the following sentence about \
patent rights.

  "Attention is drawn to the possibility that some of the elements of this document \
may be the subject of patent  rights. ISO and IEC shall not be held responsible for \
identifying any or all such patent rights."

Is this a problem?

Andreas

---- On Wed, 13 Aug 2014 09:46:25 -0700 Inge Wallin<inge@lysator.liu.se> wrote ----

 >  On Wednesday, August 13, 2014 06:37:59 Andreas Xavier wrote:
 >  > Hello,
 >  >
 >  > If we are going to abandon the library for a new library with the new format
 >  > , then I think we should stop work on libkdeedudocument now and not read
 >  > any further in this email.
 >
 >  Nobody is talking about abandoning it.  At least I don't think so. If nothing \
else, libkecuvocdocument is needed for backward compatibility with lots of existing \
files in applications like Parley, hangman, etc. What the thread is about is if we \
want to rename this library to something else - which I don't think (see below).  >   \
  >  > I think that we should keep the library and iterate toward a new api and the
 >  > new file format, maintaining functionality for artikulate, kanagram and
 >  > parley as we proceed.
 >
 >  I don't think that, for two reasons:
 >
 >  1. The old file format and the old API of the library should not change. At the \
very most they can be expanded with some new fields or new calls. But we need to \
maintain backward compatibility with old applications - including non-kde apps that \
we don't even know exist.  >
 >  2. The new file format will introduce so many changes that it will not be \
possible to evolve the library while still maintaining backward compatibility. We \
need a new library in addition to the old one. Note: not instead of but in addition \
to.  >
 >  > I think that the name of the library should be meaningful even if only used
 >  > in conversations about the library.  In libkdeeduvocdocument, the kdeedu
 >  > portion is just preamble and the document portion is misleading, because it
 >  > is more a collection of vocabulary related sets and things.
 >
 >  Actually it's keduvoc..., not kdeeduvoc... :). Yeah, I was confused by that too \
in the beginning.  >
 >  > As a name I like libLexikon. It is meaningful, with fun short forms liblexi
 >  > and lexi.
 >  >
 >  > If we keep this library, then I think that the next 2 steps are:
 >  >
 >  > 1. Split the kvtml2 writer away from the core object and set it up with
 >  > unittests and a writerManager in the same way as the readerManager.
 >  > This supports future multiple output formats and will speed up development.
 >  >
 >  > 2. Write unittests around the individual chunks of KEduVocDocument and make
 >  > it into a QObject with everything a property, signal, slot or overloaded
 >  > function for maximum future source and binary compatibility.
 >  >
 >  > Give me a sign and I can start this work or not.
 >
 >  The new format is not designed yet.  But I think that we agree on a few key \
points (correct me if I am wrong here):  >
 >  1. It should be based on a ZIP store. This is well handled by the KArchive \
framework in KF5, although I think the API is overly complex.  >
 >  2. We want to separate the word/data content from the confidence levels ("grade" \
in the old terminology).   >
 >  3. The data format should be based on XML, similarly to kvtml files.
 >
 >  My suggestion would be to call the two parts words.xml and training.xml. There \
may be more parts, e.g. pictures and sounds (and other multimedia too, like videos?). \
The Open Document Format, ODF,  uses internal links to access those and normally they \
are kept in subdirectories like Pictures/ and Sounds/ inside the ZIP store.  >
 >  If you want to start, I think you can start a new repo and start to write code \
and tests for these basic properties, I am all for it.  >
 >  Other things that we might like to copy from ODF is a /mimetype file with the \
mimetype of the format and a nice manifest.  >
 >  Somebody suggested that we base the format on the Open Packaging Conventions, \
OPC, which is the base for many file formats, especially on windows. It's more \
complex than ODF but also slightly more expressive and flexible.   >