List:       kde-edu
Subject:    LabPlot2 for kde-edu?
From:       Alexander Semke <Alexander.Semke () web ! de>
Date:       2013-12-28 9:38:27

Hi all,

I'm one of the developers of labplot. LabPlot2 is close to its first stable
release. The official homepage [1] is a bit outdated and will get updated in
the next couple of days. You can have a look at some screenshots here [2] and
here [3] if you want to know what LabPlot2 is and how it looks like.

I'm thinking about becoming an official part of kde-edu. What are the
conditions for this?

I saw a couple of nice features in kmplot that are not available in LabPlot
yet. I'm also thinking about Cantor and how to combine such an interface for
different CASs with LabPlot2. 2d-plotting and editing of many plot objects in
LabPlot2 is in quite good shape now. Besides implementing new smaller features
after the first release, on of the next big steps to go could be the
integration of a script language like python or so in order to make possible
the workflow similar to matplotlib (e.g. [4]). Instead of python, or better to
say, in addition to python, the integration of, say, Maxima would be greate.
This is where the expertise of Cantor's authors would be very valuable.

Just saw a review request for analitza on this mailing list. I was not aware
of this project before. Looks like there is a lot of similar work done by
independent projects. So, a collaboration between these projects in the long
term would be very nice and we can try to create _the_ plotting software for
KDE that goes beyond the current possibilities of other similar projects in
Qt/KDE-world (labplot, scidavis, kst, veusz, qtiplot, qcustomplot etc.)

What do you think about this?

I hope, the developers of kmplot and cantor are reading this mailing list. If
not, please tell me so I can try to get them directly :-)

Best regards
Alexander

[1] http://labplot.sourceforge.net/
[2] http://www.asinen.org/2013/10/labplot-2-and-the-state-of-free-data-analysis/