List:       kde-edu
Subject:    [kde-edu]: Fwd:  URGENT: Rocs inclusion and kdeedu module future
From:       Jeremy Whiting <jpwhiting () kde ! org>
Date:       2009-11-03 14:26:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Jeremy Whiting <jeremypwhiting@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 6:07 AM
To: kde-edu@kde.org

On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 4:21 AM, Anne-Marie Mahfouf <
annemarie.mahfouf@free.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a new program ready for KDE 4.4 in playground/edu, Rocs, a Graph
> Theory program.
>
> Considering it is more specialized than other Edu applications, I asked the
> release-team about the opportunity of creating a new module: kdescience
> with Rocs and Cantor (and maybe Kyle). This is accepted as a possibility
> but
> there are other options.
> However soft feature freeze is tomorrow which implies that the decision
> should
> be taken today in order to be added to the feature plan.
>
> An option would be for KDE-Edu to be in the near future a project like
> KOffice,
> slightly detached from KDE main but we could still release at the same
> dates.
> This would make us stronger as a branding identity provided we have the
> resources to make it happen: logo, better website, ... At the moment I am
> too
> busy with personal life to take care of it (I am frequently away to see my
> parents, without internet and without time for KDE, I am sorry I cannot be
> more present to organize a meeting and boost us). However other people can
> step in to coordinate this (noneed tobe a developer!)
>
> So basically for the 4.4 release, we have several options:
> - include Rocs in kdeedu module and wait for 4.5 to make changes
> - create a kdescience module with Rocs and Cantor for 4.4 and see what we
> want
> to do for 4.5
> - make KDE-Edu a specific project which would need some special promotion
> and
> teamwork.
>
> What do you think?
>
> Anne-Marie

I vote for option 1, I don't think we have the time or resources to make
such a drastic change as option 3 right now.

my 2c,

Jeremy

[Attachment #5 (text/html)]

class="gmail_sendername">Jeremy Whiting</b> <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a \

Date: Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 6:07 AM<br>Subject: Re: [kde-edu]: URGENT: Rocs inclusion \
and kdeedu module future<br>To: <a \
Anne-Marie Mahfouf <span dir="ltr">&lt;<a href="mailto:annemarie.mahfouf@free.fr" \
0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">

Hi,<br>
We have a new program ready for KDE 4.4 in playground/edu, Rocs, a Graph<br>
Theory program.<br>
Considering it is more specialized than other Edu applications, I asked the<br>
release-team about the opportunity of creating a new module: kdescience<br>
with Rocs and Cantor (and maybe Kyle). This is accepted as a possibility but<br>
there are other options.<br>
However soft feature freeze is tomorrow which implies that the decision should<br>
be taken today in order to be added to the feature plan.<br>
An option would be for KDE-Edu to be in the near future a project like KOffice,<br>
slightly detached from KDE main but we could still release at the same dates.<br>
This would make us stronger as a branding identity provided we have the<br>
resources to make it happen: logo, better website, ... At the moment I am too<br>
busy with personal life to take care of it (I am frequently away to see my<br>
parents, without internet and without time for KDE, I am sorry I cannot be<br>
more present to organize a meeting and boost us). However other people can<br>
step in to coordinate this (noneed tobe a developer!)<br>
So basically for the 4.4 release, we have several options:<br>
- include Rocs in kdeedu module and wait for 4.5 to make changes<br>
- create a kdescience module with Rocs and Cantor for 4.4 and see what we want<br>
to do for 4.5<br>
- make KDE-Edu a specific project which would need some special promotion and<br>
teamwork.<br>
What do you think?<br>
think we have the time or resources to make such a drastic change as option 3 right \
class="im"><blockquote class="gmail_quote" style="border-left: 1px solid rgb(204, \
204, 204); margin: 0pt 0pt 0pt 0.8ex; padding-left: 1ex;">