List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: Thoughts on KDE-Educationals in general
From:       Ben Crawford <crawford_ben () yahoo ! ca>
Date:       2009-10-03 23:11:29

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

As a secondary teacher and an avid IT user/tester I have a few thoughts on this.

Using suse studio to create a different distro:
While this sounds great and could be successful, I would worry about support if \
people were to encounter difficulties.  Imagine if you will a new user trying this \
distro out and it not working right away.  Where would they go for assistance?  Most \
likely their searches are going to lead to places where they find themselves unsure \
about things.  In my opinion it would be a better use of our efforts to offer our \
support to existing distributions and encourage kde-edu that way.

Having said that, I realize that edubuntu is no longer packaged as a single iso, but \
rather as an addon to ubuntu making it much harder to test out using a live CD/DVD \
(or even live usb stick).  Perhaps our efforts here could be best utilized in \
supporting a few distributions and making a live version with the kde-edu packages \
included available using rBulder (or a similar tool).

KDE on Windows:
I have tested this numerous times and this project has come along way and I would \
like to see it continue to develop.  However, I have been reluctant to inform them of \
some of the fantastic programs available in kde-edu because it is more than they can \
handle.  It isn't easy for them to get up and running even with KDE on Windows.  If \
we were to bundle individual kde-edu programs as standalone executables on Windows I \
think we could/would have better results and could grow the user base.  If you are \
skeptical about this I would suggest you look at a great program that does this \
fairly well, the GIMP.  I have many colleagues who do use this because of the ease \
with which they can install and run it.

Virtualization:
Having only recently suggested this to colleagues I am finding that they are able to \
adapt quickly using this strategy.  Running VirtualBox they are able to run all the \
kde-edu programs they want and about the only extra concepts they need to remember is \
to use the host key for various functions and that stuff inside the virtual machine \
is generally not accessible outside the virtual machine.

I would like to add my sincere appreciation and gratitude to all of those who \
continue to work on kde-edu and open source.  As a teacher I have had many occasions \
in which these programs have assisted a great deal in my teaching.  Keep up the \
excellent work!

Ben

The new Internet Explorer® 8 - Faster, safer, easier.  Optimized for Yahoo!  Get it \
Now for Free! at http://downloads.yahoo.com/ca/internetexplorer/