List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    [kde-edu]: Touch typing while programming...
From:       "Andreas Nicolai" <Andreas.Nicolai () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-06-20 16:03:24

Hi again Gopala,

 from my experience, programming requires a lot more finger and hand movement than \
normal text typing. For instance, to program efficiently, you must use a lot of \
keyboard shortcuts and combinations of keys that are typically unique to the \
editor/IDE you use. For most mainstream editors, like Kate, you need to press the \
control/shift or control+shift keys while moving around with the cursor keys. For \
that you need to quickly move your hands from the default resting position to the \
cursor keys and modifier keys and back. This is something that you cannot practice in \
KTouch, since we do not support cursor movement by the user.

A video of someone hacking will probably not help much - if you'd see me hacking, \
you'll just see my hands and fingers all over the place and that would really help \
much :-) Efficient touch typing for programming purposes really only requires 3 \
skills:

1. be able to type text quickly in the default touch-typing style when the hands rest \
on their standard resting positions (try to get 180-200 chars/minute for a normal \
text, that isn't too hard with a little bit of practice)

2. be able to move your right hand from the resting position to the cursor keys or to \
the keypad and back quickly without looking at the keyboard (you can practice that \
yourself in any text editor). Also practice moving your left hand away (press left \
control with your left little finger and left shift at the same time with your left \
ring finger) and get back to the resting position quickly without looking. Practice \
just the position change a few hundred times for each hand and you should be on the \
right track.

3. master the keyboard shortcuts of your preferred editor which is usually something \
like ctrl+shift+<some character> or ctrl+<character> followed by another character.

And, above all, don't expect to be perfect in a week - touch typing takes time to \
practice!

Bye and good luck!
Andreas

--
Andreas Nicolai                         anicolai@syr.edu
PhD Candidate, M.A.M.E                  (315) 443-2218