List:       kde-edu
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: Changes in kvtml
From:       Peter Hedlund <peter () peterandlinda ! com>
Date:       2007-04-22 20:31:15

On Sunday 22 April 2007, Frederik Gladhorn wrote:
> I started playing around with the kvtml stuff

Hi,

I would also very much like to modify the kvtml format and I agree that now is
the time to do it. The problem is that I haven't really had the time. I think
it's a great development that Frederik has taken such an interest in
KVocTrain.

One major issue with the current kvtml format (IMHO) is that it's bad xml. It
relies very heavily on attributes where child elements would be better for
parsing and readability (http://www.w3schools.com/xml/xml_attributes.asp).
Elements and attributes should also have proper tag names, not just a single
letter. All elements should probably also have unique tags regardless of
parent element for more efficient parsing (Now e.g. <e> is used with several
different parents and different meanings.

For future expansion I would also like to add the tags <image> and <sound> to
vocabulary entries. They should both take an URL for an image or sound file.

I support your current proposal, but hope we can take it a step further if we
are going to break backward compatibility.

Thanks,
Peter