List:       kde-edu-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: Step: interactive physical simulator
From:       "Jos Poortvliet" <jos () mijnkamer ! nl>
Date:       2007-01-29 8:38:11

On 1/28/07, Vladimir Kuznetsov <ks.vladimir@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > May be it's not to late for a new name... I've just wanted the name to
> > > be short and rememberable, and Step fulfils this purpose, but if you
> > > have other ideas please share them !
> >
> > Well, there are surely some nice names to be found in for example quantum
> > physics, like Quark... Such a name would fit in the new tradition of
> phonon,
> > solid, plasma, and it would be related to physics as well.
> Step currently can do only classical mechanics, it's likely that
> quantum mechanics  simulations will not be supported in the near
> future. I think that name from quantum mechanics can mislead people.
> I'm thinking about "Rigid", but it can be falsely associated with Solid...

Rigid sounds good. I don't think you should worry too much about the
name being mistaken for something else. Phonon or Solid are nice
names, and when you know what they mean they sound kind'a logical, but
nobody will be able to figure out what apps/libs they represent by
name alone - so why should you require that? I think a quantum-related
thing is already close enough, but it's your call of course.

Now that I think about it, why not use the name of someone like Newton
or another 'big' name in the physics field? And what about Apple ;-)
(Wait, that's taken...)