List:       kde-edu
Subject:    [kde-edu]: KTouch -> making it better for KDE 4
From:       "Andreas Nicolai" <Andreas.Nicolai () gmx ! net>
Date:       2005-10-31 18:27:37

Hi everyone,

I'd like to have your suggestions and ideas for the future KDE 4 version of KTouch. \
Right now the only pressing thing I'm working on (in my much too short sparetime) is \
the XML format of the keyboard files and the corresponding editor. Related to that I \
have a first question:

How would you expect KTouch to handle dead-keys or on some keyboards (e.g. for some \
kyrillic keyboard) swap keys that permanently overlay the current keyboard with a new \
keyboard layout?

But more interesting is the question of how we could make KTouch more fun to use, \
more sexy and exciting in the long run and most of all more useful in the teaching \
process. I've checked out several other touch typing programs and found some features \
that I would find useful:

- gaming sequences (like something is scrolling/falling over the screen and you have \
                to type fast enough before too many words/characters have been \
                missed)
- full text typing like in exams
- background monitoring of what you normally type in other programs, basically \
monitoring the sequence "backspace" and "a following character" which is assumed to \
                be the mistyped character
- typing new texts from some source (e.g. newsticker) to provide some new stuff every \
now and then in addition to prepared lectures

I would think that of most interest to our target group (aka kids) would be some \
small gaming sequences with "I want to try that level again" effects. Actually I \
believe that would work with larger kids (age > 25) as well :-)

So, what do you think? What kind of games would you have in mind? And how could I get \
some graphics for them (I kinda suck at drawing)?

Thanks for your input already.

Bye, Andreas

--
Andreas Nicolai                   Andreas.Nicolai@gmx.net
Syracuse University               +01 (315) 443 1099