List:       kde-edu
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: Ideas for a MathCenter
From:       Christian Parpart <cparpart () surakware ! net>
Date:       2002-08-25 0:19:55

On Saturday 24 August 2002 23:19, Michael Hofer inspired the electrons to say:
> Hello!

morning ;)

> I think the parts/plugin-structure suggested by Eva (in "possible design
> math app" on kde-edu-devel) sounds very interesting and may deliver a
> flexible way to split a comprehensive math-app into overseeable modules (I
> didn't look at the prototype yet).

You should have done this..... _before_ posting this here.

> But, beside the technical details about how to do what we want, we should
> probably define what we want :-)

Well, as I did understand, the proposal for the math app was for learning
only. Here's the place where you should look at the sources. The interface
allows plugins for applications like KBruch, KPercentage, and equivalents.
All of them are 100% pure training applications.

> So, here are my suggestions for a common math-app (KMathCenter?):

look at http://www.surakware.net/projects/kmathcenter/index.xml , then
look at http://lists.kde.org/?l=kde-edu-devel&m=102015650217579&w=2

Well, I had lots of stuff (exames etc) to do since then, and I just really
came back in past some days. I really had to catch lots of news and other
messages.... however, that application I have in my mind isn't a learning app
of that kind. Its intends are to be used in schools and for ppl studying
mathematics or something related. That means, they probably don't want to
learn something about how to add or subtract and how much percent they got.

However, these are two completely different goals which can't be simply merged
in one whole app just deviding its power by module in a tree view.
I'm not against kmath, definitely not, I'd just propose to create one seperate
app for children and younger students (with basic math), probably the
upcoming kmath-0.1 design, and one app focusing on the other part of users,
the more older students who need calculus analysis, statistics, and no games
between, probably the already existing kmathcenter.

> 1) What should be in it?
> -------------------------------
> I think a KDE-math-application should be as complete as possible - from the
> first steps (learning numbers)..... to advanced algebra.
> Since I am not a math-teacher I do not know exactly which exercises make
> sense, how they should be grouped and how they are called in English. But I
> think there could be a structure like in the following example:

> 	- Learning (with explanations)
> 	- Training (similar, but not necessarily identic to the

you do learn by doing training. Think about it ;)

[...]
> Maybe some teachers on this list are able and willing to help here by
> creating a comprehensive structure of exercises and combine them into
> courses? (see "Child-Mode" about courses)

I'll ask my inhouse teacher next day what he misses in the already existing
math apps (in the windows world)

> 2) How could it look like?
> Note #1: The UI-Files are only explanation-helps (-> incomplete, ugly,...).
> Note #2: In the UI-files provided, the "control part" is in the same window

> as the "application part". Another possibility would be to have a small
> control-window and open the actual math-exercise in a new window. What do
> you think about?

I'd prefer menues instead of place consuming tree views.

> Adult-Mode
> http://www.inode.at/mhofer/kmathcenter/adult ui.ui

Sorry, doesn't exist! (or my konqeror just can't open it)

[...]
> Child-Mode
> http://www.inode.at/mhofer/kmathcenter/children ui.ui

Sorry, doesn't exist! (or my konqeror just can't open it)

[...]
> 3) Additional features
> ----------------------------
> - "school-mode" -> Child-mode without the possibility to choose between
> different courses. Only one predefined/preselected course
> (remote-configurability over network?)
As of my experience in my german Abitur, our teacher just used the available
math apps for illustrating i.e. calculus graphs, and other stuff, but not for
exercises. This is the very own part of the teacher to "teach" their
students. The computer is the help for understanding, not for teaching.

> - user profiles -> Saving the status of the exercises, advancements,
> statistics, highscores....

UNIX system has an excelent user accounting system.

> - training exercises should adapt to personal strengths/weaknesses (->user
> profiles)
> - user-defineable training exercises

hm.... how do _you_ think about it? how would such an exercise be
configurable, think about kpercentage, about kbruch, and equivalents (if
there). Creating user defineable exercises make the dialog very complex and
the teacher is wasting time in explaining how to do so. Is there an easier
way?

> - KFeeder-integration for exercises in child-mode?

What's KFeeder?

> - learning-exercises should be visualized with animations (and sounds where
> appropriate)

So it's for children only. These stuff, if ever implemented, should be
possible to disable. However, the schools today (@least in germany) must
fight for each one Cent, and they definitely won't put it into sound cards,
the only sound enabled pc we had is at the main computer room and used by the
teacher.... nice.

> I am looking forward to hearing your comments, critics and suggestions.

:) Okay, I personally like the idea of kmath, but I can't agree with mixing
children stuff with higher math's. Both user groups just get confused by.

> servus,
> Michael

p.s.: I'm still working on KMathCenter. I just _had_ to get a off time.