List:       kde-edu
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: GUI / style for KDE-edu
From:       Michael Hofer <michaelhofer () gmx ! net>
Date:       2002-08-12 14:45:14

Hello!

Am Montag, 12. August 2002 08:31 schrieb Geert Stams:
> I am glad this gui / style discussion is started again. I believe that it
> is the most important thing for kde-edu as the software just is not fun
> enough for the kids. Computer learning has to be fun and visually
> attractive for the children.

yes (will add this point to my list of style-guide-ideas)

> One control panel for all  language apps (and one for math apps), the
> teacher can decide what excercise the student has to do. The child just has
> to click te icon and do a certain excercise.

That's the same idea I had for a general math-app. I have started a new thread
(Ideas for a MathCenter) with more details about my thoughts....

> There should be no taskbar or 'window' visible. So the student:
> Cannot mess around on the computer
> Is dedicated to his/her task

This is also a question I thought about.
Should Edu-Apps (for children) be windowed or fullscreen applications? Would
it still be a "KDE-Application" if it was fullscreen ("graphic-mode")? Is it
possible to hide the control-panel/taskbar/.... while running a maximized
windowed/qt-application ("non-graphic-mode")?

> One can use a more general login like 'student'.

Dedicated accounts/environments would be another possibility for school use,
but I don't want to create/configure a special account just for a few
exercises with my child. For home-use a "program-oriented" solution would be
better in my opinion.

> A special key combination normally gives back the taskbar and the 'window'
> so program can be shut down or settings can be changed by the teacher /
> parent. ( ctrl t or ctrl-alt-t is often used). I just have not the time to
> start / stop programs and don't want to spent time on it as well. This time

Combined with special accounts (which start for example a "MathCenter" in
child-mode on startup), it could be possible to configure/start/stop
(math-)exercises remotly (via the "MathCenter" in teacher/adult-mode).
See my other mail ("Ideas for a MathCenter") for more on this....

Or should there be a more general approach for remote-controlling _all_
KDE-EDU-apps over a central "ControlCenter" (for school-use)?

> Theoretically Khangman and Klettres can be used by adults as well but has
> little didactical value. Too easy not interesting enough. Software for
> adults for learning a foreign language is much different. Normally cut to
> very specific real life situations / problems.

So you mean there are _some_(?) applications which are mainly
targeted at children (and so don't need an "adult-mode"?) and vice versa.
Another aspect for the styleguide ("Think about the targeted
user-group...")...

servus,
Michael