List:       kde-edu
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: Re: ktimes
From:       Uwe Thiem <uwe () polytechnic ! edu ! na>
Date:       2002-08-08 7:56:17

On Wednesday 07 August 2002 20:03, Mahfouf Anne-Marie wrote:
> Hi again,
>
> Found your ktt link in kde-edu mailing list, compiled and ran it.
> Basically, it's the same idea except my design was more child-oriented (I
> tend to prefer
> bigger fonts).

Well, ktt has no UI design at all yet. ;-) Bigger fonts are no problem at all.
The beast has a proper layout management that should take care of any font
sizes. Any idea what the best sizes are? Then again, that also depends on the
screen size and resolution.

> I also left the user the choice of different levels,
> something you could add.
> Level 1 would concern the tables a child learn first (a teacher could help
> here)

My kids learnt timestables one by one. This will be configurable in future.
Actually, there could be an automatical mode where the user learns  the next
table. When s/he knows that table by heart, the program switches to all
tables learnt so far. Zero mistakes => next table. Whatever.

> Your code is surely cleaner than mine was so I think your ktt is better to
> improve than KTimes.
> At the bottom of the page
> http://edu.kde.org/developer/kde3_2features.phtml
> you can see the ideas that a teacher had regarding KTimes improvement.
>

> The following ideas were quite important:
>
> - add Learn functionality with several levels: use graphical animations to
> help the child understand what a multiplication is regarded to an addition)
> (like 3*2 : draw 3 packets of 2 apples for ex)
> - change the editing of multiplication tables. Each table should be
> selectable individually.
> (that's for the help in which I displayed the tables by group of 4)
>
> I think the idea of a times trainer is necessary for KDE-Edu because it is
> an exercise
> every kid has to do. Whether we integrate your code in a global math app or
> whether we improve it on its own is to be decided.

A trainer for timestables should do just that. My POV.

Uwe

--
Nothing is fool-proof given a sufficiently skilled fool.