List:       kde-edu
Subject:    Re: [kde-edu]: unified kde-edu style?
From:       Sebastian Stein <s5228 () informatik ! htw-dresden ! de>
Date:       2002-08-07 20:05:00

Michael Hofer <michaelhofer@gmx.net> [020807 21:58]:
> I've read the thread and there were some interesting ideas. It may be a good
> idea to develop a library providing functions for typical needs in
> kedu-software. But what are "typical needs" for edu-apps?

I think at the moment there is "only" code to store and read entries from a
vocabular file like Scott Wheeler mentioned today.

> When I look at the current KDE-EDU-apps, there is a "touch typing tutor", a
> "desktop planetarium", an "alphabet tutor", a geometry program,.....
> Ok, there are a few vocabulary-trainers and math-programs. But is this reason
> enough for a kde-edu-lib? Or wouldn't it be a better way to merge these very
> similar programs (or at least bring them on a common codebase)?

I agree with you very much. All the math applications could be merged to one
big MathCenter. But the problem is that some apps deal with training and
some with supporting the pupils solving their mathematical tasks. The
question is if it is good to combine them under one app or if there should
be a common math training app and a math help app. I think one app would be
enough with a training and a help mode or something like that.

> - font-sizes
> - simplified menu-structures/systems
> - color-schemes
> - use of images
> - sounds
> - logos/splash-screens
> - a unified scoring/motivational-system (extended kfeeder?)
> - "gameplay" (or how to make edu-software fun to use)

You are very right and at the moment I don't know a point to add.

Steinchen
--
KBruch: application to automatically generate tasks with fractions
Package: KDE Edu in KDE 3.2 (http://edu.kde.org/kbruch/)