Hello! I had an idea for a project yesterday and wrote a short description and a= list=20 of possible features: My idea is based on a old DOS-program I liked very much when I was about = 12=20 years old. We played it in the mathematic-lessons in school. It was kind of a mathematic-trainer. First you had to choose the type of=20 calculation you wanted to practise (additions, substractions,=20 multiplications, divisions,....) and then the difficulty (how many=20 digits,...). The reason why this was fun to play was that you had very limited time to= type=20 in the results - it was a race against the clock. After you typed in the=20 result, there was a short message saying "right" or "wrong" and immediate= ly=20 after that, the next equation appeared. If you typed no answer within the time limit, the program continued to th= row=20 the next equation on you. The time you had for each equation, got=20 continuously shorter while playing. Looking around on the kde-edu-website, I found "ktimes", which seems to b= e=20 similar to my idea. Beside the fact that ktimes operates only on=20 multiplications while I think of integrating all kinds of basic arithmeti= cal=20 operations, there seem to be a few conceptual differences: I haven't tried KTimes yet, but it appears to be for younger children (6 = to=20 10), which learn multiplication for the first time (correct me if i'm wro= ng).=20 The program I had in mind would be for "children" from 10 to 99 (at least= I=20 still like playing something like this :-) I see it more as a "mental arithmetic trainer" than as an "educational ai= d". I want to emphasize the competition-aspect - it should feel more like a g= ame=20 in which you try to beat the "highscore". Possible features I have in mind include: - different difficulty levels - different combinations of arithmetic operations - point-system (dependent on speed, accuracy, difficulty,...) - highscore-lists - 2player-mode (on one pc / network?) What do you think about all those ideas? I don't know if it would be better to integrate all this in ktimes or to = start=20 a seperate project. If integrated in ktimes, there could be two different modes (as mentioned= in=20 the plans for the kcontrol-module): - a "child mode" for learning (with all the fancy graphics, images,...) - and an "adult mode" for competition (maybe with a more "conventional"=20 interface?) I have some experience with software design and development under dos/win= dows,=20 but haven't done a unix/kde/qt-project so far. So any help is highly=20 appreciated.... Btw: Where in CVS is KTimes? I couldn't find it in the POST_KDE_3_0_BRANC= H (as=20 stated on the homepage), nor in kdenonbeta. thank you and servus, Michael _______________________________________________ kde-edu mailing list kde-edu@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-edu