List:       kde-docbook
Subject:    Man pages
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-06 13:09:05

Before we start adding man pages, there's a few things I need to figure out.

Since at least one linux distribution insists on a man page for each binary,
these documents *will* be written anyway, even if we don't do it ourselves,
it makes sense that we make use of this fact, and include this information in
the main KDE documentation.

docbook2man relies on jade + perl, and using the new help:/ kioslave has
removed our reliance on jade in particular, so I hardly want to be
responsible for adding that back.  That leaves generating man pages from xsl
stylesheets (Frederik, you mentioned this was already possible? do you know
how?) or if coolo wants to make the man converter he wrote work on refentry
markup instead.

Where is an appropriate place for the sources to go?

Depending on the tool used to process these,  it could be as:
module/docs/manpages/<appname>man.docbook, or something like this.  I'd
prefer to not have another subdirectory for each binary. For example, in
kdebase there are more than 60 binaries, and 14 subdirectories in /doc/.  I
don't think adding another 46+ subdirectories to /doc/ would be all that
efficient , nor would it be too manageable.

Perhaps there can be a per module /doc/index.docbook, with each separate
manpage being included from a /man/ subdirectory in the same way as the
kcontrol modules are. This makes the most manageable solution to me, for
multiple authors, so long as the processing tool doesn't rely on the files
being named index.docbook.

This thought appeals to me, because we could use the documentation ourselves
in other ways.  Something I have in mind is that the docbook source could be
installed, so that calling help:/kdebase would give you short introduction on
what the kdebase module contains, with links to it's major application
handbooks, and then the reference sections for the smaller binaries that
don't have or need their own manuals.

--
Lauri Watts
KDE Documentation Team