List:       kde-doc-english
Subject:    Re: [kde-doc-english]Re: Spelling and grammar corrections
From:       "Thomas Diehl" <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-26 9:00:38

On Tue, 26 Jun 2001 07:08:29 +0200, Thomas Diehl wrote:

>I'm not a native speaker and, like I said, from my gut feeling I even
>like "directory" better myself. So if you can please _show_ me (not
>only maintain) that the term "folder" is wrong and/or the native
>speakers tell me that "directory" is really a more proper term for our
>purposes I'm fine with a standardization on that one, too. Main thing
>would be that we agree on a term and stick to it.

Second thoughts:

*  "Directory" is the Linux/Unix word and eg the man pages and
developer speak are not going to change to "folder" anytime soon. So if
we would like to standardize on "folder" it would be a KDE
standardization only -- not good for a Linux/Unix desktop

*  "Folder" is the word commonly in use on Windows and Mac and
certainly more "concrete" for  KDE artists and esp. ordinary users. (I
know quite a few people who never understood the concept of
"directories" but somehow managed to get along with "folders".) So if
we would standardize on "directory" we would alienate these people to a
degree -- not good for a desktop that's meant to bring Unix/Linux to
exactly this target group.

At this point, I'm really happy to leave it to the native speakers.
;-)

Regards,

Thomas

---