List:       kde-doc-english
Subject:    Re: [kde-doc-english]Changes
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-06-25 14:07:40

On Monday 25 June 2001 04:25, Jonathan Singer wrote:
> Lauri Watts wrote:
> >I had this after it changed and spent the better part of 2 days fighting
> > with it.  I haven't heard anyone else having it, or maybe all the
> > developers just know what to do about it :(
> >
> >The *only* way I could sort it out was to do a completely remove any and
> > al traces of libxml2 and libxslt from my entire file system, fresh
> > install (a new $KDEDIR, a completely empty builddir for kdesupport and
> > libs).

> Disclaimers:
> 1) I'm not trying to knock anyone's work.
> 2) I haven't been following the politics or technical details of the XML
> viewer work so I apologize if I'm way off base here, but...

You are, but that's ok... the problem is really that in the last week some
things moved from base to libs, and so, it was easy to get caught in the
middle with some things installed from base, when they ought to have been the
newer ones from kdelibs.  Cleaning up makes this situation go away, and it
only obviously affects people working out of CVS.

> ...given how badly this whole system is working right now, is relying on it
> for the upcoming release a good idea? As much as I hated jade, it seemed to
> me that users would be better off with the old pregenerated HTML files, as
> they're much faster loading and can be viewed in any browser. I was hoping
> that packagers would be encouraged to do their builds that way.

Heh, but that's what they are getting now... pregenerated HTML files, made
during the compile.   And it's really not working badly.

Actually, even with the problems, it's working wildly better than Jade ever
did, for the majority of people.  I've heard of 4 or 5 people, total, who've
been having problems, and they are for the most part repaired by make clean
in kdesupport and libs, which is the situation that most people doing an
upgrade will be starting from.  Compare this to the amount of trouble Jade
used to give (which was more like 4 or 5 people a week who had trouble with
the old system.)  Every actual bug has been fixed as soon as it turns up,
which is something we couldn't do with Jade either.

As for hating pre-release CVS, it's always a little wobbly around this time,
and it always sorts itself out before release.

> But at this point, it looks like the XML viewer is a long way from working
> reliably at all. Is the plan to make it the default for help display in
> 2.2? If so, can I suggest reevaluating the plan?

I guss you haven't tried it lately... it's working like a charm, better than
ever before :)

--
Lauri Watts