List:       kde-doc-english
Subject:    Re: [kde-doc-english]Re: documentation size
From:       Thomas Diehl <thd () kde ! org>
Date:       2001-05-29 16:16:14

On Tuesday, 29. May 2001 16:52, Tamas Szanto wrote:

> 1) The size of a document should reflect the importance
> of the app it describes (*to some degree*)
>
> > konqueror - 130 KB
> > artsbuilder - 256 KB
>
> Do you think that this size ratio is reasonable?
> Konqueror is the most important app in KDE, artsbuilder is
> basically a "toy".
>
> 2) Size does matter (*to some degree*)
>
> For translators, twice as much documentation means
> twice as much work. Even if there are some tools available
> to ease the process.
>
> Apart from the translations, do you really want to convince
> me that if ktetris1 and ktetris2 are similar applications,
> it's perfectly acceptable if one of the docs is 25 KB and the
> other is 150 KB? It's hard to believe that both of them would contain
> only essential information.

I agree.

> 3) The primary target audience should be the average desktop user
>
> I have a feeling that there's some confusion here. Some people
> provide a detailed reference manual, the others only try to
> cover the basics. It's obviously not clear for the authors what kind
> of documentation they are expected to make.

Yes. Much as I admire, for instance, the knode documentation (after all it
was done by one of my German team mates ;-) it is debatable whether
a KDE documentation should really explain about everything concerning Usenet,
from netiquette to the explanation of acronyms.

No doubt that this is extremely instructive for newbies but I guess
there are quite a lot of texts on these subjects in about every language
around.

Regards,

Thomas

--