List:       kde-doc-english
Subject:    Re: [kde-doc-english]How should "This function returns...otherwise.." texts in KSpread be worded?
From:       Pam R <pam.roberts () btinternet ! com>
Date:       2001-05-25 17:31:28

On Friday 25 May 2001 07:02, Malcolm Hunter wrote:
> > Do people like the version above? Or:
> >
> > The find() function searches a substring. This function returns True if
> > this substring exists; otherwise it returns False.
> >
> > The find() function searches a substring. This function returns True if
> > this substring exists. Otherwise it returns False.
>
> I've used the latter in similar message strings. But I still don't like it
> - it seems too wordy. Maybe:
>
> The find() function searches a substring, returning True if the substring
> exists, False if it does not.

Surely there's more serious problem with the first sentence; "The find()
function searches a substring. " It is unclear whether this means that find()
searches for a substring (in what ?), or that it searches within a substring.
(for what ?).

Pam
--
UK Linux Step by Step mirror: http://www.pam.roberts.btinternet.co.uk/sxs/