List:       kde-doc-english
Subject:    Re: [kde-doc-english]Re: The new tarball
From:       Pam R <pam.roberts () btinternet ! com>
Date:       2001-02-23 13:02:40

On Friday 23 February 2001 10:17, Eric Bischoff wrote:
> Le Friday 23 February 2001 10:27, Pam R a écrit :
> > On Thursday 22 February 2001 21:59, Eric Bischoff wrote:
> > [snip]
> >
> > > Since the <releaseinfo> is always supposed to match the version of the
> > > application,
> >
> > template.docbook says
> > "<!-- Date and version information of the documentation"
> >
> > Perhaps this should be changed, as it can be read to say that
> > <releaseinfo> is related to the doc release rather than to the app
> > version?
>
> Well, we've been hypocritic on this subject. DocBook clearly states that
> it's relative to the *doc*. But nothing prevents us from choosing for the
> doc the *same* version number as for the app ;-).

But surely that's actually complicating things. As things now stand a
substantial change to the documentation will only be reflected in the <date>.
And the app release number, and hence the <releaseinfo> number, can change
without any other change being needed to a doc. This strikes me as being
fundamentally wrong.

> So change have this changed by Frederik if you want, but keep in mind that
> we do still conform to the standard ;-).

It's not a case of what *I* want, but that template.docbook should be
unambiguous.

> > Also, I've noticed that some developers change the app version at the
> > very last moment before a freeze, making it virtually impossible for the
> > doc <releaseinfo> to keep up.
>
> Such complaints should be centralized by Mike and Lauri and then
> transmitted to the developpers. Yeah, there are *lots* of such issues for
> which they could make us the life easier. Sigh.

I'd much rather the developers concentrated on important things like killing
bugs and adding cool new features.

Pam