List:       kde-doc-english
Subject:    [kde-doc-english] KDE Menu Editor Handbook -- KDE application launcher
From:       Jerry Nelson <jerrynelson () speakeasy ! net>
Date:       2013-09-02 21:57:14

re: The KDE Menu Editor Handbook
Milos Prudek <milos.prudek@worldonline.cz>
Anne-Marie Mahfouf <annma@kde.org>

Dear overworked volunteers,

How to add a program to launch?
This documentation uses as an example INTERNET / New Item / Firefox.

DISCOVERY

How do you know to type in the letters F-i-r-e-f-o-x ?
How can I find out what programs not in the launcher are launchable, and what
names must be used to launch them?  How does discovery proceed?  You do not
need to write the definitive and complete answer, you just have to let me
discover in this documentation a new tool or two that gives me a little more
power to discover and explore my system as I craft my App Launcher menu.

This is the core of mastering what is on my installation and learning to use
my system.  But the core issue is ignored.

HIERARCHICAL ORGANIZATION & HIDING

What tools are available for organizing my overview of apps?   If the App
Launcher Menu is the chief (only?) tool for organizing an overview of every
user app I want to run on the system, then an examples of creating a
HIERARCHICAL MENU SYSTEM should be shown -- not just adding a single item to
the flat folder tree here.

Show me how to create a TOP LEVEL item called  OTHERSTUFF so that I can hide
(drag-and-drop) less-wanted menu items into it and hide them.  I only see
SUBMENU creation, not SAMELEVEL (top level) item creation.

The KDE project deserves to draw in many of the brightest and best-motivated
users.
--jerry