List:       kde-doc-english
Subject:    Re: [kde-doc-english] Using rpmbuild to build rpms from tar.gz files
From:       "Yuri Chornoivan" <yurchor () ukr ! net>
Date:       2010-05-17 18:47:00

написане Mon, 17 May 2010 20:57:18 +0300, Steven Linehan <srjl673@msn.com>:

> To whoever answer this:
> Refer to
> http://kwave.sourceforge.net/doc/en/building_rpm_from_targz.html....CAN
> YOU HELP ME?
>
> There is something missing in this procedure: I am not building kwave,
> but this is a prototype - I wish to build rpms of a variety of tar.gz
> files that are needed to install gnumeric.
>

> 1. Go to your RPM "topdir". This normally is /usr/src/redhat for the
> redhat distribution or /usr/src/packages if you have the SuSE
> distribution.
> %cd /usr/src/redhat
>
> 2. Put the tar.gz archive into the SOURCES subdirectory (you have to
> replace "somewhere" with the real directory where the files are, of
> course).
> %cp /somewhere/kwave-XXX.tar.gzSOURCES
>
> 3. Extract the spec file from the archives and put it into the SPEC
> subdirectory.
> %tar -xOzf SOURCES/kwave-XXX.tar.gz\*.spec>SPECS/kwave.spec
>
> 4. Let rpm do the compile job and generate the rpm of Kwave. If you only
> want to make a binary package, you can specify -bb instead of -ba, or
> just -bs to build only a source package.
> %rpmbuild -bb SPECS/kwave.spec
>
> 5. If everything was ok, you can install the binary rpm of Kwave, it
> will be in the BUILD directory. If you already have a version of Kwave
> installed, please remove it first or use the parameter -U instead of -i
> for upgrading instead of installing.
> %rpm -ivh BUILD/[arch]/kwave-XXX.[arch].rpm
>
> The "arch" string should be specified earlier I think
> and the arch string does not exist as a dir under BUILD. These
> steps created /usr/src/redhat/RPMS/noarch/intltool-0.37.1-1.noarch.rpm
>
> What's Missing??
>
> Steve Linehan

Hi!

arch is "i586", "i386", "athlon" or any string that is defined by the
environment.

In fact, modern RPM distributions (Fedora, openSUSE, Mandriva, etc.) can
build RPM from regular user (there is no need to copy specs in
/usr/src/blah-blah).

It will be enough to copy tar.gz in ~/rpmbuild/SOURCES and run
rpmbuild -bb kwave.spec
 from any folder it was unpacked earlier.

Hope this helps.

Yuri