List:       kde-doc-english
Subject:    Re: [kde-doc-english] reusing text blocks and snippets in the
From:       "Yuri Chornoivan" <yurchor () ukr ! net>
Date:       2009-02-14 8:01:00

На Sat, 14 Feb 2009 01:38:56 +0200, Burkhard Lück <lueck@hube-lueck.de> \
написав:

8<----------------------------------------------------------------------------

> * now this is automatically processed by the i18n tool chain like any
> other
> documentation, just business as usual for the translation teams.
>
> * changed / new docbook text blocks in kdelibs? Translation teams see
> this
> immediately in the stats and in lokalize.
>
> * Translation teams try to generate an updated documentation which is
> using a
> new/changed text block in kdelibs, but the teams forgot to update these
> translations?
> scripts/update_xml will simply refuse that! If the teams do not update
> of the
> translations of the text block in kdelibs, it is impossible for them to
> update of the translated documentation!
>
> Comments or suggestions for a better solution?

Hi!

I think there is no need to do any of these things. Translators used to know what \
they are doing and know how to ease their work (correct me if it's not the case :) ). \
On the other hand documentators do what they want (and that's right): if they want to \
remove "silly" sentences from all kdegames documentation without any notice, they can \
do it! ;-)

As a sort of mathematician I can say that splitting documentation into libraries make \
whole system much more complicated and as a result less effective (well, it is \
complicated enough to make many translators through the years to translate two \
_absolutely_ identical adjacent messages in userguide/groupware-kontact.docbook \
differently ;-) ).

Moreover (IMHO), if someone wants to translate something or make documentation for \
some application it is up to the corresponding coordinator to make template of \
translation (using team's translation memory) or docbook template (corresponding to \
appropriate KDE module). If someone from documentation team wants to use up strings \
from other docs that's great, if he does not that's great too, documentation becomes \
more readable and useful if it's not a set of sentences that are the same except for \
the program's name.

That's what I think. ;-)

Best regards,
Yuri