On Friday 09 May 2003 17:58, Lauri Watts wrote: | On Friday 09 May 2003 16.55, Rahul Sundaram wrote: | > Hi | > | > I feel that there is a need for a guide specifically | > meant for users who have migrated from Windows or | > checking out what KDE offers for them | > | > this would be different from the general purpose guide | > by answering questions many new migrants would ask | > like | > | > where is my computer? | > does kde have a calculator? | > how do i use and format a floppy | > and so on | > | > is such a guide necessary? | > available? | | Some of this content is covered in the Quick Start Guide. A more specific | 'KDE for ex Windows Users' might certainly be useful. | | I imagine it more as a quick reference, lots of short answers to questions | and referring (linking) on to existing documentation, since most of this | ground is well covered in various application manuals, it's just not | gathered in one place. Perhaps as a new section for the FAQ? Or a new FAQ | style document entirely? | | Of course, if you have other ideas how it should be, that's fine too, I'm | just musing. | | > can i write one? | | Absolutely! | | I've sent you separately some getting started information. | | Regards, I've been thinking about the same. But I think there is already some stuff avaible to use. Also a lot of people already wrote quite some stuff about kde daily usage (read: usermanual-stuff) Look at http://linuxpip.org/ for the FDL-book "Linux in the workplace" Would be nice to have that updated and also some images included. Also I write some kde howtos for a dutch speaking website. I plan to do some translations to english but I need someone to do the proofreading for me. *hint* These kde-howtos tend to discuss the usage of KMail with Hotmail/Gotmail and Spamassasin. But also "howto rip an audiocd". Also I wrote a tutorial about the usage of kgpg and also some other small stuff. This can be found on our humble little dutch website: http://www.vosberg.be/doc/kde/config.shtml http://www.vosberg.be/doc/kde/software.shtml Is there a way to get this sort of stuff in a central place ... say ... KDE CVS. When you have all of these howtos combined my guess is that you have a pretty complete user manual. Anyway ... talking is easy, but if there are any plans of doing this then I will help to write and collect some howtos. Please your opinion on this matter ... Fab -- Fabrice Mous fabricemous@xs4all.nl fabrice@kde.nl ~~ http://www.kde.nl vosberg@suse ~~ http://www.vosberg.be _______________________________________________ kde-doc-english mailing list kde-doc-english@mail.kde.org http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-doc-english