List:       kde-doc-english
Subject:    Re: [kde-doc-english]Attn all: Markup Changes
From:       Frederik Fouvry <fouvry () CoLi ! Uni-SB ! DE>
Date:       2002-01-28 9:17:39

| I think it is just as important to remember that different documentation
| is aimed at different audiences.  In my opinion, the documentation
| included with kwuftpd should be very different then the documentation
| that should be included with ktron (as an example).  One is an
| application that will often be used in an enterprise environment where a
| more professional style is apprpriate (as well as a more technical
| content).  The other is a game which should not impact a business
| environment (if your boss doesn't care you play KTron, he won't probably
| be too upset by the documentation for KTron). Additionally, KTron is
| supposed to be fun, and its documentation should encourage people to
| have fun with it.
|
| Writing either application in the tone and style for the other is
| inappropriate.

True.  Also the content plays a role: the installation of KTron
isn't quite as exciting a playing the game (I should hope ;-).

| > > But we should at least replace the insider jokes ("Danger,
| > > Will Robinson"),
|
| True.  But it can be difficult to find a truly universal example.  In
| the case where it is simply an example (as above), the example could be
| internationalized to fit the sensibilities of each translation team.
|
| Many American audiences prefer examples which are not as dry as "This is
| a warning message".

Which should clearly be internationalised, in that case.  How can
the translators distinguish between such cases and things that
should be translated "normally"?  (I was pretty mystified the
first time I saw Will Robinson.)  It's easy to say that they're
translators and should know, but in many cases they don't.  Jokes
often require a level of knowledge of English that isn't there,
not to speak of cultural/current affairs/... background.  (I'm
not blaming anyone, and not trying to offend anyone.  A basic
knowledge of English is relatively easy, a good one is very hard.
Look at quite a few papers/presentations in scientific
conferences, or the day-to-day English used in the EU
administration.)  Perhaps they should just ask the authors ...
Anyway, references to hot-topics-of-the-day should be avoided.
(Not that I have seen any.)

Frederik