List:       kde-doc-english
Subject:    Re: [kde-doc-english]href="help:/" ?
From:       Lauri Watts <lauri () kde ! org>
Date:       2002-01-26 18:36:51

On Sunday 20 January 2002 11.32, Pam R wrote:
> Don't know whether this is the right forum for this post, but anyway..
>
> I have noticed that links of the form href="common/... in the meinproc
> generated html have been replaced by href="help:/common/...   For example
>
> <link rel="stylesheet" href="common/kde-default.css" type="text/css">
> is now
> <link rel="stylesheet" href="help:/common/kde-default.css" type="text/css">
>
> I don't know the reason for this change, but it makes it impossible for the
> html pages generated by meinproc to be viewed by anything other than
> Konqueror, which seems to be a Bad Thing [TM].

You're right, it is a bad thing overall, and I have now some "Web-Friendly"
XSLT that generates quite different output.  Expect it to turn up in CVS any
day now (as soon as I figure out why it crashes Windows Netscape 4.x and
looks great everywhere else.)

Features:
A single header graphic, which doesn't resize, and doesn't use CSS
positioning
A single footer graphic
All content is constrained in width, which avoids the need
for the complex positioning, will fit on any display as small as a WebTV
device.
The pictures will be searched for in  ../common, so that you could make a
tree like this on a web site:

/toplevel
   /common/
   /document1/
   /document2/

Which should help for caching purposes, and to keep your web traffic within
reason.   Since it's still not quite done, if anyone has better ideas on the
path, I'm listening.

Pitfalls: The abovementioned strange crash is holding it up, and it's just
not as cool as the real  (and resizable) thing.

I expect we'll be seeing a lot more of the current KDE documentation up on
websites, once this is done, which is a nice thing so far as "corporate look
and feel" goes, don't you all think?

Regards,
--
Lauri "are you sick of this mail flood yet?" Watts