List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: threading in kde
From:       Andrew Sutton <ansutton () sep ! com>
Date:       2001-09-08 1:27:01

On Friday 07 September 2001 14:59, TAnGorN (Anatoli Gorchetchnikov) wrote:
> On Friday 07 September 2001 01:33 pm, Rik Hemsley wrote:
> > * It is possible to safely add a Qt interface to a threaded
> > application without needing to even link to the MT version of the
> > Qt library.
>
> How? Last time I tried it crashed, I had to link to mt. It was in
> December though...

actually, that might be a little different. linking against pthread changes
the entire "look" of the process. for one thing, any threaded application on
linux automatically has 3 threads (initial, manager, and main - i think). for
another, pthread does some nice things like setting up TLS for some globally
accessed data members (like errno).

its quite possible that something in the non-mt-tq lib reacts badly to that.
when did it crash? startup, shutdown? thats where most big problems come from
combining threaded and non-threaded systems.

in general, though this is correct. you should be able to link a threaded
application with a non-thread aware library and not have any problems.

Andrew Sutton
ansutton@sep.com