List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE Panel Applet: occupying the entire panel height and retrieving the height
From:       Per von Zweigbergk <pvz () linux ! se>
Date:       2001-09-02 12:52:32

söndag 02 september 2001 06:26 skrev Shlomi Fish:
> Since the program in question must have a main() function, then I guess
> I'd like to write a docked application. In that case, how do I make my
> docked application have no border?

Right. I think I need to clarify this.

There are two (three) ways to put application in the panel.

The first is to write a kicker applet, which is a library dynamically loaded
by kicker. Then basically you can use any normal Qt and KDE widgets you want
in the panel (although you often don't want to). This is good for an
application which is mainly driven from the panel. Example: the pager, or the
tasklist.

The second is to write a normal KDE application (with a main window) with a
KSystemTray object. A KSystemTray is basically an icon in the System Tray.
The normal behaviour for such an applet is to show/hide itself on a left
click. An example is (the unpatched version of) Young Hickory for Noatun. A
left click will show/hide noatun. A right click will bring up a nice control
menu to control the noatun. YH also shows information about noatun in the
system tray, for example whether it's playing or not.

(The third is to dock a non-KDE program in the panel with the Program Dock
option. However, this is not what you want for a new application. Note that
this is *not* what most KDE developers will mean by a Docked Application.
They'll mean a KSystemTray icon.)

Anyway, to your question, if you write a program with a KSystemTray
interface, you basically show information to the user by the icon currently
displayed, using setPixmap() to change the icon with state changes. The
interface in the tray will never have a border unless you draw one around
your icon yourself.

--
Per von Zweigbergk <pvz@linux.se>