List:       kde-devel
Subject:    No result signal from StatJob
From:       Julian Rockey <linux () jrockey ! com>
Date:       2001-09-01 19:40:15

I wonder if anyone else has come across the  following problem.

I think I'm right in my understanding that a StatJob job should *always*
produce a result(KIO::Job*) signal, so an application can depend on this
signal to continue processing after the StatJob has finished. (Go on-- smash
me down on my first assumption! :-) )

A program I'm writing does just this.  It does lots of StatJobs one after the
other, in a chain, so that the result of one job starts the next job. It
works fine if the StatJob is on a local file, but using FTP after several
StatJobs have run, it stops. Investigation reveals that the application is
waiting for a result() signal from StatJob, and never getting one. The
StatJob is still alive. See my debug output below.

As you can see, the job has been idle for 8 seconds. I tried leaving for a
long time and it just continues idling. There is no problem with the FTP
connection which is over a fast cable modem. In fact, the same problem occurs
even if I FTP to my OWN machine at localhost.

So the question is: (a) is there a bug in the KIO libraries?; or (b) is there
something an application can do wrong that would result in a StatJob never
returning a result() signal?

If anyone can shed some light on this I'd be interested. I am wading through
the KIO code to see if I can spot anything but it's quite overwhelming when
not familiar with it. BTW, I am using the release kdelibs 2.2. I will try it
with the kdelibs CVS when I can work out how to have two versions of kdelibs
on the same machine.

Created and connected StatJob
Cancel pressed
KDirCompareByModified: cancel()
Killing statjob
isAlive 1 / isConnected 0
idleTime 8 / suspended 0
connection:suspended 0
kio (Scheduler): Scheduler: killing slave 6450
kio (Slave): killing slave pid=6450 (ftp://jrockey.com)
kio (KIOJob): Job::kill this=0x829e128 m_progressId=0 quietly=true

Julian